Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Centurion Wisconsin Grand Fondo Bikery Team Event Invitation

(and heck, even if you don't ride with the Bikery, you want to come?)

I'm over due for rant. It's been nearly 2 weeks since the last one. I did consider a rant of Bib(lical) proportions after a chafing issue last night while using an old pair of bibs that I hope to soon replace with a shiny new set that are from my club. But I'm setting that aside. Instead - let's plan an event!

THE BASICS
Each Centurion Cycling event includes three separate rides — 100 miles, 50 and 25. All three Centurion Wisconsin rides will take place on Sunday, August 8.

(Note the distances! There is a route for every level in our club. Everyone should consider this event. Can you make it? Read this: http://www.centurioncycling.com/faqs/)

Soooooooooo...........

In what may become a typically futile attempt at planning something more than 20 minutes before we attempt it... I'm going to attempt (futility) to plan a trip to Madison to spend some exertion on this, what promises to be, EPIC exploit.

The general outline is this:

Saturday - August 7th - we leave Stillwater and travel to Madison WI (note - this is where the Grand Fondo is so this is why we would go there. Also note this is the DAY BEFORE the ride itself which lends itself to having a beer the evening before we suffer.)

Sunday - August 8th. You awake in wonderful Madison WI, or close by. Simply, like no other place on an early weekend in August, really. You roll over, you reach for the Tylenol to offset the effects of previous evening's 'carbo loading' and think, 100? Why didn't I sign up for the 50? Oh well, I'll still dominate, win my age group, proudly continue to own the Bikery Green Jersey and fly the team colors to the combined team victory! Maybe I'll take 3 tylenol. Was that 100 beers or 100 miles? Ouch.

Now - should this amazing event planning effort instead become a steaming pile of poo on the floor and we don't 'Grand Fondo Madison!' in August, I'd still suggest an event on August 7th - the evening of, we gather for beer. Or at least perhaps a century to the south of Stillwater on Sunday the 8th. But this my fellow riders of the bicycle is but a fallback plan incase of poo. And we are going to avoid the poo with some good planning. Yes, I know, good planning is new, and commitment is in even shorter supply than the newness of good planning.

Out motto for the Great Just West of Madision Grand Fondo is: No Poo, steaming or otherwise!

You must now:
- Think about - would I like to try 100 miles and 6000' of climbing when it could be 86 degrees and 80% humidity? (and who wouldn't?)
- Or - would I care to try for 50?
- Finally - the 25 which allows for 30 minutes more sleep and the capacity to probably have 4 more beers the evening before during the carbo loading session.

Send me an email that says "YES! I'm probably in." (if you are considering being 'IN')

At this time this is NOT a committment. I leave on vacation tomorrow (Thursday, which could be today if you're reading this tomorrow considering I'm sending it today, Wednesday. If you know what I mean.)

I return from vacation a week from Saturday. I will then tally my email for potential commitments.

And by commitment I mean - "I'm very interested in driving to Madison with a bunch of not yet smelly bikers on Saturday August 7th. I understand I may share a room with these people, some of whom may snore. I will then do a really long or potentially not so long ride on Sunday. And this ride departs early. I will then climb back into a car with now potentially very smelly people and drive back to lovely Stillwater where over the course of the next week I will forget the major suckage of spending a weekend suffering with bikery bikers so I'm ready to ride again the following Saturday."

I will then, should there be interest plan a full commitment meeting where we will pay money and sign up and be committed to going to madison and we will reserve some hotel rooms to store our bikes in so there is room in the car to sleep on Saturday evening after 'carbo loading'.

In all seriousness. This looks very fun. Weather you just want to do a century or push a little harder and try and win a century this could be fun to try on some new roads.

On a final, and slightly funny note, I'm still not a 100% I can make it that weekend. I think i can, I think I can... but I am prepared to potentially commitment right now!

No Poo! Potentially Commit today.

Rough cost:

Hotel room are between 100 - 125, so split that by the number of bikes that will share the room.
Gas - split that by the number of bikes per car/American Gas Guzzling Giant Truck.
Food - what you'd spend on food (Sat Dinner, Sun Breakfast and Dinner)
Other - (beer. It's cheaper in WI so you'll save money by doing this event)
Event Registration - a high 2 digit number I'm to lazy to look at right now

Subtract - $$$ from selling your autographed Amazing WI Grand Fondo Age Group Champions Trophy on EBay.

By the way - should we ride this ride, I smell a good rant coming up. You should look at the profile of this course. Freaking mountains between the start and finish. Don't they know this is the mid-west, not the rocky mountains? But I better have me a new pair of bibs by then... hell hath no indignation like a cyclist chafed! (That should be on a t-shirt.)

Over and out.

Sully

PS - Lance didn't call again this year and now he's retiring. I'm gonna have to find someone else to stalk to get on a TDF team in 2011. Darn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment